Unix software and USSR

Per Andersson perand at admin.kth.se
Thu Sep 27 04:21:09 AEST 1990

In article <4113 at altos86.Altos.COM> steve at Altos.COM (Steve Scherf) writes:
>>	Vadim Antonov
>>	DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
>A while back you mentioned that you have the source to BSD, etc., over there
>at the Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy. Tell me, do I just not understand
>the technology protection rules in the U.S., or isn't Unix source barred from
>the USSR? I suppose you also have source to the DES encryption algorithm?
>We're not even allowed to ship the C library with the DES algorithm to Europe,
>so I can hardly believe you are allowed to have the source! Enlighten me.

You are allowed to ship - if you get a licence. Digital has one, so now they
are the first to ship Kerberos outside US. But - back to DES - Unix was
previously no no, don't know if that has been lifted, but when Berkley shipped
4.2 to Europe, and probably the rest of the world they forgot to take out DES.
Rumours say that the lawyers said -'You shouldn't have done that' and Berkeley
said -'Oh, you wan't to help us to retrieve the tapes?'. Apart from that there
are many many DES implementations not written in the US, and therefore not
restricted. Check out the one which was distributed in comp.sources.something,
it was carefully set up not to pass the US, which is illegal, but sent both
from Australia and Finland I think. Such rubbish.

Per
--
Per Andersson (perand at admin.kth.se, perand at stacken.kth.se)
Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,