setting variable on Bourne-shell startup

David Alan Black dblack at pilot.njin.net
Tue Sep 11 12:17:06 AEST 1990

Based on what I've read in TFM, I've tried to use ".profile" to create
and export an EDITOR variable (namely, vi - my main purpose here is to
circumvent emacs).

Simply put, I can't get it to work.  Even when .profile says:

EDITOR=vi
export EDITOR

and I say

%sh

I end up in the Bourne shell (which is good) with EDITOR pointing at emacs
(which isn't good).

Eventually, I would like to put a "sh" in .login so as to bypass the C-shell.
But I don't want to have to change EDITOR manually every time.

With thanks for any responses,

David Black
dblack at pilot.njin.net

                      "What competition?"