Spooling to a printer attached to a terminal port

Clarence Dold dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Mon Sep 17 11:53:13 AEST 1990

in article <855 at zeusa.UUCP>, hendrik at zeusa.UUCP (Hendrik Vermooten) says:

> My ARNET multi-port card can do this by creating a "pseudo-tty" that you

The ARNET intelligent cards interleave data headed to printer and screen, and
properly handle incoming keystrokes.
Without the ARNET intelligence, it is still possible to print to the serial
port on any VT100 compatible terminal, but the terminal is useless for the
duration of the print job.  If you don't also "lock" the keyboard, you could
have keystrokes echoed to your printout as well.
I don't lock the keyboard, since some terminals recognize the code and others
don't.  The print control is recognized by most terminals, as well as Kermit
and Procomm.

# mc5i - echo "\033[5i\c" - print without displaying to screen
# mc4  - echo "\033[4\c"  - turn off local print
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold at tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293