screen program information

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Sep 21 15:07:07 AEST 1990

In article <13840 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU (BURNS,JIM) writes:
> Well, of course I could always just ^a-k (kill) that screen window w/o
> affecting any of my other windows, then ^a-c ((re-) create) that window if
> I need it.

I said flush, not eliminate. Say you accidentally cat /etc/termcap
without a pager running. Say there's about 50K of buffering between you
and the nearest communications mechanism that knows how to flush output.
Are you going to wait for that 50K to drain?

Under pty, you just sess -T reconnect p5 > /dev/null, or perhaps pipe it
through more, or perhaps save it in a file for later perusal. Then you
type ^C and reconnect normally, without harming any other background
processes or stopped jobs in the session. How can you do this under
screen?

> in article <18996:Sep1609:58:2090 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) says:
> > you can't bring a screen session back into the middle of a pipe.
> [and I said]                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Huh?

You write your amazing macro program. You want to have it handle both
the input and output of screen. How do you do this?

> And finally, when ARE you going to post pty to c.u.s? :-)

pty 3.001 and pty 3.001 patch 1 should appear any moment now on
comp.sources.unix. Complain at Rich. In the meantime they're available
via anonymous ftp to 128.122.128.22 or upon request to me.

---Dan