screen program information

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Sep 14 17:49:41 AEST 1990

In article <24491 at adm.BRL.MIL> Chauhan at system-m.phx.bull.com (Ardaman Chauhan (TDC)) writes:
>           I downloaded the screen program from the net a while back and
> found it very useful.  I have a question about the detach/attach feature
> of the program by which you can detach a process and after wards
> reattach to the same process from some other terminal/login.

It sets up blocking IPC files, either named pipes or bound UNIX-domain
sockets. All communication goes through the files. Reconnecting is
just a matter of reopening the files.

(Of course, this adds an unnecessary layer of communication. It's more
efficient to pass file descriptors back and forth, like pty does.)

---Dan