Unix software and USSR

Peter Mutsaers /100000 muts at fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Thu Sep 27 17:53:03 AEST 1990

gt0178a at prism.gatech.EDU (BURNS,JIM) writes:

>in article <1990Sep26.124217.918 at hq.demos.su>, avg at hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) says:

>> 	Anyway if you don't believe me try to compile and run the following
>> 	program:

>> 	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

>Not quite - I get:

>XX0/imINzSUs.

I got the same result on our IBM, and the manual explicitly says they did
not include the original DES program because it is not allowed.

It seems that now also in the US a slightly modified version is used in order
to be compatible with the rest of the world?

Then only in the SU they use the real DES algorithm.  -:)

Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts at fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer at ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl
Princetonplein 5                          tel:    (+31)-(0)30-533880
3584 CG Utrecht, Netherlands