BSD job control

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Fri Sep 7 05:27:15 AEST 1990

> I'm attempting to port a program which uses BSD job control for use
> with POSIX job control under system 5.  Can someone explain to me what
> the BSD function sigsetmask() does.  I would also like to know what
> the TIOCLGET and TIOCLSET ioctl() requests do.

sigprocmask() is the POSIX equivalent of BSD's sigsetmask(), although
the mask arguments must be constructed differently.

  TIOCLGET
       Get the process group control mode word and store it in
       the int referenced by arg.  This command is allowed
       from a background process; however, the information may
       be subsequently changed by a foreground process.

  TIOCLSET
       Set the process group control mode word to the value of
       the int referenced by arg.

  TIOCLBIS
       Use the int referenced by arg as a mask of bits to set
       in the process group control mode word.

  TIOCLBIC
       Use the int referenced by arg as a mask of bits to
       clear in the process group control mode word.

These are used to get, set, and clear flags such as TOSTOP
(which controls whether a background process group receives
a SIGTTOU signal when one of its process writes to its
controlling terminal).

Dave Decot
HP