Unix software and USSR

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Sep 29 17:18:12 AEST 1990

Regarding the export of DES technology, here's something to curl the hair on
your toes:

One product I was contemplating to manufacture needed the DES algorithm.  So
I called the local Motorola Sales Office and asked for some samples (as I do
for other potential products).

When I arrived at my office the next day, sitting on my desk were several
tubes of chips (MC6859, and other goodies) and about 30 pounds of docs.

Affixed to the tube containing the MC6859 chips (the hardware implementation
of DES) was a notice boldly proclaiming (paraphrased (it's been a few years)):

	``These chips may not be exported without prior written authorization
	  from the Office of Munitions Control of the Department of State.''

And flipping the pretty purple ceramic chips with gold leads upside down
reveals the country of manufacture (or, at least, package encapsulation):

	``MALAYSIA''

Presumably the silicon was fabricated in Texas, then shipped to Malaysia for
entombment, then returned to the USA, then barred from further export.

Interesting, to say the least!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]