variable length in the csh

Mark Kennedy mek at enterprise.udev.cdc.com
Tue Sep 18 04:38:39 AEST 1990

Can anybody tell me what the maximum length for a variable is in the
C-shell?  In my experience on both Sun workstation and MIPS the
limit is a mere 18 characters.  While that may seem adequate for
most uses, I want to be really verbose!  The Borne shell allows me
longer variable names.  I don't really know the limit for it either.

So, is the limit really 18, or is this a bug?  Where is the limit
documented?  Thanks.

	-Mark

Mark Kennedy                     AT&T: (612) 482-2787
Control Data Corporation         E-Mail: mek at udev.cdc.com
If you can read this you're in phaser range.