Standout mode in System V.3.2 curses

Matt Day mday at iconsys
Sat Sep 8 12:59:22 AEST 1990

I've been having some trouble using the standout display mode in SVR3.2 curses.
Consider the following program:

#include <curses.h>

main() {
	initscr();
	noecho();

	standout();
	addstr("<highlighted>");
	standend();
	refresh();

	getch();
	wrefresh(curscr);

	endwin();
}

When this program exits (after you press a key), my vt100 terminal is completely
highlighted, while only "<highlighted>" is left in standout mode on other
various terminal types (the correct behavior, I believe).

I think this problem has been mentioned before, but I didn't see a solution
or workaround.  Apparently it has something to do with vt100's specifically,
rather than a total bug in curses, which is why I haven't fixed it myself.
Perhaps the vt100 terminfo library isn't complete or curses doesn't know that
vt100's need a special escape sequence.  In any case, could some vt100 guru
lend some insight?
--
- Matthew T. Day, Sanyo/Icon, mday at iconsys.icon.com || uunet!iconsys!mday