Reliability of (Sys V) file systems on power failure

LCDR Michael E. Dobson rdc30med at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
Sat Sep 29 05:57:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep27.132549.10168 at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> I wrote:
> [ ..... ]                       Because of this, in addition to an UPS, I
>have installed a powerfailure monitor which automaticly begins the shutdown
>sequence when it senses a powerfailure from the primary power source.  The
>UPS provides time for users to log off and for the shutdown sequnce to
>complete.  For a cost of ~$250 for the transducer/software, it's a very good
>investment.  E-mail if you want details on the product.

Because of several requests, I am posting the following:

The system I mentioned is called Showdown and is distributed by:

	Continental Information Systems Corporation
	PO Box 248
	Itasca, IL 60143-0248
	(312) 250-8111

It is available for a variety of platforms, I don't recall the complete list
right off and can't find the product brochure.  It consists of a transducer
that plugs into the wall and a serial port on the computer and has software
to monitor that port.  When a power failure is sensed, it begins your system's
normal shutdown procedure with user definable delays for warnings and the
start of the final shutdown sequence.  These should be tailored to your UPS
to ensure things get closed down before the power really dies.

Hope this helps,

Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med
AT&T 3B2/600G Sys V R 3.2.2     | BITNET:   dobson at usuhsb.bitnet
WIN/TCP for 3B2                 | MCI-Mail: 377-2719 or 0003772719 at mcimail.com