Unix software and USSR

Peter Mutsaers /100000 muts at fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Thu Sep 27 17:45:31 AEST 1990

leendert at cs.vu.nl (Doorn van Leendert) writes:

|avg at hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) writes:

|#main()
|#{
|#	char *crypt();
|#
|#	printf("%s\n", crypt("Do you believe me?", "XX"));
|#}
|#
|#	The result should be:  XXcXimKPpq0M.            :-) :-) :-)

|Funny, when I compile and run this on a sun4 (or a sun3 for that matter)
|I get:

|	XX0/imINzSUs.

|This makes me wonder: who has got the real thing :-).

|Leendert

Vadim does, grrrrr. I had exactly the same result. I am in Europe too,
we have the modified version of the crypt routine because, as mentioned,
the real version may not be exported outside of the US.
Ridiculous isn't it?

Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts at fysaj.fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         nmutsaer at ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl
Princetonplein 5                          tel:    (+31)-(0)30-533880
3584 CG Utrecht, Netherlands