Type-ahead in unix

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Fri Apr 19 16:27:22 AEST 1991

In article <4497 at skye.ed.ac.uk> richard at aiai.UUCP (Richard Tobin) writes:
>In article <-Q=_Y$_ at warwick.ac.uk> cudcv at warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) writes:
>>On a constructive note, I used to quite like the Burroughs MCP/CANDE approach
>>of holding up output while you were half-way through an input line
>This can be a pain if you've inadvertently typed something - you're
>left wondering where the output's gone.

Multics also has this option in its tty driver (actually, it's implemented
in the front-end, so it doesn't work for pty's and network terminals, or
when you're doing character-at-a-time I/O).  It includes a timeout, so
accidentally hitting a key doesn't stop output forever.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar