Personal NFS?

Eric Pilger pilger at uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
Sat Apr 27 10:27:27 AEST 1991

In article <4034 at inews.intel.com> bhoughto at pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>	cd $HOME
>	mkdir foo
>	mount -t nfs /bar/bletch at uunet foo
Actually, SunOS insists on:
	mount -t nfs uunet:/bar/bletch $HOME/foo

>	cd $HOME
>	umount -f foo
Once again, SunOS insists on:
	umount $HOME/foo

>	rmdir foo
>
>Basically, RTFM mount(8) and umount(8).  If your sysadmin has
>turned off your permission to invoke mount or umount, scream

SunOS does not let anyone but root issue the mount or umount command.
I suppose you could change these commands to be SUID, but I would only
want to do this on my own personal machine.  IT WOULD NOT be a wise
thing to do generally.  The safest path is to create a small program
that is hardwired to do specific mounts, and make it SUID.  This
provides a little more control.

>loudly.  The only thing you need to do either is write permission
>in the directory, and the right sort of connectivity to the

AND make sure the file system you're trying to mount from the remote machine
is exported to you.  Check the /etc/exports file.

>remote system (most routers and gateways prevent nfs activity

Eric Pilger
Systems Programmer
NASA Infrared Telescope Facility
2680 Woodlawn Drive