Where has all my disk space gone?

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Thu Apr 25 16:25:08 AEST 1991

In article <azLEBNf8XKcms at idunno.Princeton.EDU> subbarao at phoenix (Kartik Subbarao) writes:
>In article <1991Apr23.194511.29646 at Think.COM> barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr23.174228.11278 at aucs.AcadiaU.ca> peter at aucs.acadiau.ca (Peter Steele) writes:
>>>df reports the following:
>>>
>>>Filesystem                 Type  kbytes     use   avail %use  Mounted on
>>>/dev/dsk/ipc1d2s3           ffs  945670  589136  356534  62%  /u2
>>>du does not seem to agree with df:
>>>994268  /u2
>Yes, but also note that du reports in terms of Kbytes, not blocks, so there
>is no 400 meg discrepancy.

I think you're wrong.  If du's number is Kbytes, then it claims that /u2 is
taking up 50MB *more* than the total size of the file system, even though
df claims that 356MB is still available.  Du and df are almost consistent
if du's output is in in 512Kb blocks.

>			    Note that directories take up space on the disk,
>as does creating the file system itself.

Du includes directories in its totals.  File system overhead is only a few
blocks, so shouldn't be significant to this problem.  I'm not sure, but I
think the total size reported by df may be *after* the overhead is taken
into account.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com