Type-ahead in unix

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Wed Apr 17 10:51:47 AEST 1991

In article <12132 at dog.ee.lbl.gov> torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:
> >not to mention 4.3-Reno.
> huh?  4.3BSD (all releases thereof) have always done this.  What do
> you think the PENDIN and catq() under TIOCSETA{,W} are doing in tty.c?

I haven't looked at the tty code. However, under an almost straight BSD
4.3 system, output is not echoed or returned to the cooked buffer, and
it wouldn't matter anyway since all the applications use TIOCSETP.

In fact, under your BSD 4.3++ (ahem), output is not re-echoed, ^M is not
converted back to ^J, and line editing does not work upon the typeahead.
I just tried it today, so don't tell me things work.

---Dan