mknod for BSD 4.3

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Apr 24 03:35:21 AEST 1991

>	SunOS is of the BSD flavour

SunOS is actually more like Neapolitan. :-)  (Actually, the version of
that joke that I saw described AIX in those terms, but....)

I.e., it's of *several* flavors; it has some BSD stuff, some S5 stuff,
and some SunOS stuff.  ("Neapolitan" being a term used, at least in the
US, to refer to ice cream with vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry
regions.)

>-- so I would expect that 4.3BSD would act in basically the same way.

Nope.  The fact that "mknod()" makes FIFOs comes from the S5 chunk of
the ice cream bar, not the 4.3BSD chunk.