script question

Gary A. Bolles gab at tcs.com
Fri Apr 5 04:51:30 AEST 1991

In article <JC.91Apr3153259 at raven.bu.edu> jc at raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

>But, if you are using csh or tcsh, try this:
>
>   echo -n "Read news now? (Y/N): "
>   set REPLY = $<
>   if ($REPLY == "Y" || $REPLY == "y") then
>     rn -s15
>   endif
>

>Hope that helps.

Just a word about doing stuff like this in your .login (if you must)...

If rn exits abnormally for some reason, you may find that tasks appearing
after it in your .login go undone.  At least this was my experience with
csh under 4.3BSD.  I'd suggest that you make this routine the last thing
you do in .login - just in case.

Good luck.

--
Gary A. Bolles                        | Teknekron Communications Systems, Inc.
Software Configuration Manager        | 2201 Dwight Way, Berkeley, CA, 94704