The swich with dailight savings time

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Sat Apr 13 03:02:09 AEST 1991

In article <295 at ukelele.UUCP> chris at ukelele.UUCP (Chris Linstruth) writes:
>I dealt with this problem by setting the hardware clock to GMT ...

The is the right way to do it.  Another method that is not quite as good,
but might be necessary for some people, is to keep the hardware clock on
`normal' time: instead of

>TZ=GMT0;export TZ
>date `/etc/setup -d` > /dev/null
>. /etc/TIMEZONE

you could (assuming your timezone is EST5EDT, e.g.) use

	TZ=EST5 date `/etc/setup -d` >/dev/null
	TZ=EST5EDT; export TZ

It is (or will lead to :-) ) sheer insanity to keep internal times in
multiple formats, and it is best to use a single agreed international
standard for internal times so that all machines can agree as to what
time it is.

(It is somewhat amusing to watch PC users bump into all the old problems
as their systems expand.  I imagine old-timers felt the same way about
Unix systems when they began to displace `mainframes'.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov