Binary File Compatibility Between ULTRIX and Other UNIX Systems

Richard Siggins, B-150B, Eastman Chemical Company Research, X- 3762 siggins at kodak.com
Sat Apr 6 07:29:24 AEST 1991

As a new UNIX systems person I was dismayed to discover that floating point and
integer numbers are not stored in the same format in a binary file on ULTRIX vs
most other UNIX systems.  It seems that the bytes are in the reverse order or
some similar condition.   Does anyone know of a file transfer method that will
correctly translate the data?   In particular I am interested in data from an
IBM RS6000 and a DECsystem 5000.

Thanks.

|  ___  ________  |       Richard Siggins
| |  / /        | |       Eastman Chemical Company
| | / /         | |       Research Laboratories, B-150B
| |< < K O D A K| |       Kingsport, TN  37662
| | \ \         | |       (615) 229-3762   FAX (615) 229-4558
| |__\ \________| |       email:   siggins at kodak.com