Type-ahead in unix

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Fri Apr 19 22:04:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr15.220135.391 at am.sublink.org> alex at am.sublink.org (Alex Martelli) writes:
> An IBM 3270 under VM/CMS almost "gets it right", too, most of the time:
> the bottom two lines are used as an 'input pad' where you can (locally,
> in the terminal/controller) edit one logical-line worth of "future
> input" (with echo) - however, when you "Enter" this input, it goes to
> the system, which 'stacks' it

Note that my ``pmlined'' for UNIX implements the same style of line
input. It uses the status line of your terminal (with a _ cursor), uses
polite left-to-right scrolling, allows various control characters for
history editing, etc. It's not particularly well coded, and it's not
particularly efficient, but it works if you set up your tty modes right.
Oh, yeah, you can also toggle the extra layer with ^A.

I'll post an updated version of pmlined to alt.sources, including
Gnot-style editing (based on Chris's and Doug's comments) and arrow key
input, in the next few days. The old version is available from
stealth.acf.nyu.edu if you're absolutely desperate.

---Dan