random numbers in awk?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Mon Apr 29 12:41:49 AEST 1991

In article <7453 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>The theory was, I guess, that people with scripts that depended on the
>"old AWK" should change them to use "oawk", so that in the future "awk"
>could become the "new AWK".  However, according to the S5R4
>documentation, "awk" is still the old AWK....

We did this sort of thing with C compilers, too.  The idea is:
	PHASE 0 (existing practice):  All applications use "awk".
	PHASE 1:  New awk installed as "nawk", old awk remains as "awk",
		"oawk" linked to "awk".
	PHASE 2 (transition):  Applications that require the new
		behavior invoke "nawk".  Old applications are tested
		against "nawk" and if they really do require the old
		version, they are changed to invoke "oawk"; otherwise
		they continue to invoke "awk".
	PHASE 3: "awk" is changed to be a link to "nawk".
	PHASE 4 (catch-up):  Applications that rely on "oawk"-specific
		behavior are updated to work with regular (new) "awk".