Wildcard Expansion By Shell

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Thu Apr 18 02:57:17 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of sundrag at risky.Convergent.COM (Sundaraswaran Gopalakrishnan):
:Hi,
:  I would like to know how exactly Shell expands the wildcard
:characters in the command line. Are there any undocumented system
:calls to accomplish this ? Or the Shell does a physical read of the
:disk inodes etc. and matches the file name against each one ?

Huh?  What do named have to do with inodes?

It reads the names from the directory, and compares against these.

--tom