Fingeree wants to keep track of the fingerer

Jim Armstrong armstron at cs.arizona.edu
Wed Apr 10 11:55:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr8.020222.11776 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <10290 at hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600hubb at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Richard Hubbell) writes:
>|> 	Does unix offer a method for keeping track of each
>|> occurence of being fingered?  i.e. if someone fingers me is there
>|> a way that I can tell who it was that fingered me?

>  If you are not the superuser, and you want to do this anyway, and your
>system supports named pipes, and your system's fingerd has no problem with
>reading from a named pipe, then you can do this by creating a named pipe as
>your .plan file, and running a process opens the pipe, selects it for write,
>and whenever it is ready for write, figures out what process is doing the
>reading and does monitoring stuff on that process, and then sends your .plan
>file over the pipe.

About a month ago there was a sample program posted to this newsgroup that
set up a FIFO named pipe as your .plan file.  I modified the code to set up
a simple (perhaps naive) finger monitor for users on my machine.  The process
running on the other end of the pipe basically did a ps au whenever someone
fingered me to find out who it was.  The information could be stored in a
file for later inspection or used to print a personal hello message as part
of the .plan to whoever fingered me.  Of course, this brings up the infamous
'caller id' discussion as to whether this is really ethical.  I know that I
like to be able to finger another user without my identity revealed, and I
have since returned that sense of privacy to the other users on this host.

--
Jim Armstrong			  "The nonpayment and subsequent abuse of
armstron at cs.arizona.edu		  socially powerless athletes is simply a