printing out manual pages

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 18:57:13 AEST 1991

rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

> >man foo | sed -e 's/_^H//g' -e 's/^[.//g'
>
>  I usually just use:
>    man foo | ul -tdumb > file
>
>  If you have 'ul', and if the 'dumb' terminal type is defined in your
> termcap or equivalent database as a totally dumb terminal, that should
> format it without fancy control characters.

How peculiar.  I just tried that, and the ul that I have (the same as
the one under bsd-sources on uunet, I think) converts the .^H into
carriage return followed by the line to overstrike it with to get the
same effect.  Probably not what the original poster wanted, but useful
nonetheless :-)
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)