Algorithm used in compress/decompress ?

Vadivelu Elumalai vadi at cs.iastate.edu
Tue Apr 16 13:40:59 AEST 1991

Recently I read about many compression techniques used for text
compression. It seems there are two methods to compress text,
dictionary method and statistical method. I want to know the
algorithm used in the unix text compression utilities
compress/decompress. This has to be a standard algorithm since
it is possible to decompress the text compressed by another
machine. Is there a GURU who can explain this?
Thanks.
Vadi.

--
Vadivelu Elumalai,                    U.Snail : 813, Wilson Avenue,
B-20, Atanasoff,                                Ames, Iowa - 50010.
Ames, IA - 50010                      E-mail  : vadi at judy.cs.iastate.edu