.project & .plan (finger) What are they?

Victor Torres vic at uis-oc.UUCP
Sat Apr 27 08:19:26 AEST 1991

Hello,

I'm using a Unisys System V 3.2 on a Unisys PW2 800/33 (33 Mhz 386).

I've got two questions I need some help on. First, in reading the man page
on finger(1B) it makes reference to two files that live in $HOME, .plan
and .project. But unfortunately, the man page doesn't say anything beyond
that it looks at both these files. I'm curious to find out what these files
are used for and if other utilities make use of them. I manage a small
software group here and if this is something that could make coordinating
my group easier, I would love to use it. Please don't tell me to RTFM.
I've looked all over the FMs.

My second question is, in trying to find other utilities that referenced
.plan and .project, I had the idea of grep'in all the man pages looking
for a match. Since the man pages are compressed, I did the following:

	find /usr/catman -type f -exec pcat {} \; | grep project

Unfortunately, whenever grep finds a match, it doesn't tell me what
file the match is in. I haven't been able print only the filenames that
grep finds a match.

If someone can help, I would appreiciate it.