Return status of 'rsh'

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Apr 11 00:26:13 AEST 1991

pbrown at vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Patrick R. Brown) writes:
>I am trying to set up a shell script to check for mail on a remote
>machine.  The script is the following:
>	#
>	if [ `rsh csgrad mail -e` ]

>This looks nice, but it doesn't work.  (I never "have" mail, even when

rsh does not return the status of the command that it executed on the
other machine.  There is nothing you can do to change that, however
you have two other options.

	1. Use the following:

		rsh csgrad "if mail -e; then echo you have mail; else \
				 echo no mail; fi"
	2. have csgrad forward the mail to your current machine so that
	yout don't have to worry about checking the mail somewhere else

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170