The swich with dailight savings time

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed Apr 10 02:21:30 AEST 1991

In article <9 at phlpa.UUCP> scott at phlpa.UUCP (Scott Scheingold) writes:
>I have noticed that some of my cron jobs are running an hour later
>than they are normally run.
> Have I come across a bug with
>SCO UNIX SYS V/386 Rel. 3.2.2. Or is there something that I should
>do to get things back on track (besides a reboot of the system).

It happens on AT&T's 3B2 SysVr3.2 so it it probably a generic sysV
bug.  If you kill and restart cron everything should go back to
normal, at least if the process doing the restarting was logged
in after the switch to DST.

>I was supprised when I found the clock had changed. I am just glad
>that I didn't have anything of real importance that needed to be
>run at a specific time.

The fact that this bug has been allowed to remain and so few people
seemed to notice makes me wonder if anyone is doing anything of
real importance with sysV unix.

>My next question would be when we switch
>back to EST will this become a problem once again.

No, that one is worse - at least on the 3B2's SysVr3.1 it runs everything
in the crontab twice on the day after the switch.  After losing some
important logfiles to this, I've taken to turning off DST before the
switch in the fall, then resetting it manually the next day to make
sure the running cron is killed (so I don't know if it is still a
problem in r3.2).

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us