Unix disk duplication....

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Apr 6 09:21:30 AEST 1991

In article <131 at hanys.UUCP> wayned at hanys.UUCP (Wayne) writes:

>	I have an AT&T 6386 wgs machine which is used for developement
>and creating unix installation packages for software I write. The problem
>that I have is it takes a long time to create 100's of distribution sets
>by formating floppies and then using cpio to build the packages .  Can I
>purchase a disk duplicator for unix floppies? Or is there a better/faster
>way???

It's about a 40 line program to prompt for a source diskette, open a floppy,
malloc() the appropriate amount of memory, read() the whole thing and
then loop prompting for destination diskettes if you hard-code the
device name and size.

You can probably do just about as well just using cp or dd to copy in
a master disk to a file, then back out again.  Just be sure to use
the character device for the size floppy you want.  You can even use
zcat >device if you want to compress the image files, and wrap a
shell script around it so anyone can do it.

For 100's of sets, that is probably the best way.  For 1000's you will
want to have a service company do it.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us