named pipe across NFS

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Apr 25 07:22:21 AEST 1991

In article <JIK.91Apr22024519 at pit-manager.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  Why things were done this way touches upon the recent argument about
>whether or not NFS should support transparent access to remote
>devices.  I would argue that it should not, and that the behavior you
>are observing is correct for what NFS was designed to do and what it
>was not.

Not to suggest that NFS should be changed, but just that there are
choices and differences of opinions, RFS does support named pipes
spanning machines.  And yes, it is sometimes useful to be able to
communicate across machines with simple shell redirection and the
queuing mechanism built into FIFOS.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us