Archiving ucode object files

gomatam at ecs.umass.edu gomatam at ecs.umass.edu
Thu Apr 11 01:34:18 AEST 1991

I have the foll problem with archive ar:

I have a bunch of files compiled under the foll:

f77 -O3 *.f

this is for a MIPS fortran compiler running on DEC 5000

this produces a bunch of .u files (NOT the usual .o)

supposedly, these are "ucode" optimized for speed, etc

I need to link these files with other fortran source code; the problem is
creating a library of these files using ar

I get an error "*.u is not in archive format"

The man page for "uld" has no info: although there is info on dealing
with the "nonoptimized" .o files

so my problem is :"How do i archive a set of files produced under the
above compiler option to create a library ?"

I tried looking at the manuals, but I'm new to this, and I couldn't find
one specifically for this: even suggestions for what to consult will
help me a lot

thanks

Badri