How can a child learn of its parents termination?

Mark Boolootian booloo at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Thu Apr 4 05:09:00 AEST 1991

The subject pretty much says it all:  Is it possible for a child to receive
notification of its parent's termination?  One possibility would be to check
the parent process id from time to time but this won't help me.  I have a
child sleeping on a semaphore, normally awakened by the parent.  If the parent
terminates, the child is going to sleep forever.  I need some way of waking
the child up upon parent's death so that the child may exit.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.  I'd prefer email responses but I'll be extremely happy
with any answer no matter how I get it...

mb
booloo at lll-crg.llnl.gov