Norton Go Home (Revisited)

Jim Giles jlg at cochiti.lanl.gov
Tue Apr 16 08:39:10 AEST 1991

> whats all the big deal about ???  if you really want a NU type thing then
> why not just do it with a shell script called "rm" an "mv", ie wake up and
> rewrite these to save a copy of deleted and clobbered files. okay this needs
> the same disk space but doesn't have the problem of relinking the kernel.

I think that the point is that the Norton utilities don't rely on
keeping deleted files in some "shadow" space.  Norton can sometimes
fail to recover a file because its disk sectors have been reused.
But, this is better than forcing the user to periodically have to
empty his "wastebasket" of preserved trash and forcing the user to
deal with diminishing disk space until he does.  At least, this is
the perceived advantage - like it or not, that's what people want.

J. Giles