How can one avoid sending mail after an `at' ?

Robert L. Howard rhoward at msd.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 11 03:23:37 AEST 1991

In <7775 at mgweed.UUCP> prg at mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) writes:

>In article <1991Jan10.085555.3150 at aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr>, sap at aar.alcatel-alsthom.fr (Jacques Sap) writes:
>> The man pages say:
>>
>> >     Standard output and standard error output are mailed to  the
>> >     user  unless  they  are  redirected  elsewhere.
>>
>> So I tried "at now +......    >& /dev/null"
>>
>> But I still receive mail after completion, how to avoid it ?
>> --

>Try redirecting BOTH output and error using

>		...  2>&1 > /dev/null

I think what we have here is the difference between csh/tcsh (in the first
case) and sh/ksh (in the second case).  This response probably does not
address the problem.

Both solutions here only redirect the output of the *at command itself*
not the commands that at will run.  The better solution might be....

% at now +....
at> command1 plus args >& /dev/null
at> command2 and more args >& /dev/null
at> ^D
(some messages from at)
%

Now this prompts the question of how to redirect output for the command(s)
that at will run...

I *think* that at uses the login shell for the given user as defined in
passwd.  Any comments on the accuracy of this statement?

Robert

--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward at msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |