swapping tapes between Suns and DECstations

karl anderson karl at forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 10 09:24:03 AEST 1991

It seems that there is no standard format for 8mm tapes, so that
an 8mm tape written on, say, a DECstation 5000 cannot be read on
a Sun and vice versa.  I think 1/4" formats are more standardized
(QIC and all that).  Am I right - can a 1/4" tape written with
tar, cpio, dd or dump on a DECStation be read on a Sun?  Email
unless you think the net would like to know.  TIA.

Karl A. Anderson		| Internet: karl at forest.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC code 923 (STX)	| voice: (301) 286-3815
Greenbelt, MD 20771		| #include "std_disclaimer"