Use of BSD 4.3 source

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at gsm001.uucp
Fri Jan 4 03:58:55 AEST 1991

In: <1991Jan3.050048.5153 at mel.dit.csiro.au>

Robert Smart

>I understand that Berkeley intend to make the parts of BSD which are not
>based on AT&T code freely redistributable.

The original Berkeley code was funded by the U.S. Department of Defense
which makes it owned by the "United States of America" which makes it
public domain.

The later stuff was funded by the State of California which also makes it
public domain.

This includes modifications to AT&T source code, but not the AT&T code itself.

Therefore programs that were written at Berkeley such as BIFF, the BSD NROFF,
etc. are clearly public domain even if there are no comments to that effect.

I am not a laywer, this is not legal advice, only a systems programer's
opinion.

If you are truely concered, ask an atourney that specializes in software law.

This is especially important as U.S. copyright law is VERY different than
anyone else's.

Since there are no copyrights in the Soviet Union, maybe you could
ftp a copy from MOSCVAX.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
(215) 242-8712