tty 8-bit output

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Thu Jan 24 11:54:14 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan22.175816.12228 at athena.mit.edu> ckclark at athena.mit.edu (Calvin Clark) writes:
>Ok, I give up.  I am using the "new" Berkeley tty driver,
>as described in tty(4).  It is reasonably easy to get it
>to accept eight-bit input, by using 'stty pass8' or by
>setting the ioctl correctly.  However, it seems that if
>it is set in a mode which does *any* output processing
>at all, (i.e., anything but 'raw' or 'litout'), it
>will strip the eighth bit off of the output characters.

There was a bug in the BSD tty handler that made it hard to get 8-bit
raw data through the handler.  However, the right combination of
set/get/set ioctls can work around the bug.

	stty( ofd, &ttyb );
	ioctl( ofd, TIOCLSET, &lflags );
	/* following 4.2BSD hack courtesy of Chris Torek */
	gtty( ofd, &ttyb );
	ioctl( ofd, TIOCSETN, &ttyb );	/* makes LLITOUT stick */