"Monitoring" a process

Paul Falstad pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jan 22 18:53:31 AEST 1991

rickc at telly.on.ca (Rick Copley) wrote:
>Can anyone out there tell me how to tell if a given process is actually
>doing any thing (ie accumulating cpu time) from within a C program ??
>
>I realize I could muck around with the ps -t command and capture the cpu time
>in a file and compare it to a few minutes ago and stuff like that, but it seems
>like there should be a REALLY easy way to check if a process is "running" and
>accumulating cpu time.

Yes, there should be, but there isn't.  You need to read /vmunix's name
list, open /dev/kmem, and traverse the kernal process table.  It's not
pretty at all.  Reading the output of some variant of ps is probably the
easiest solution in this case.

--
Paul Falstad, pfalstad at phoenix.princeton.edu PLink:HYPNOS GEnie:P.FALSTAD
In the heat of composition I find that I have inadvertently allowed