Can UNIX pipe connections be compiled?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Sat Jan 19 15:03:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan18.193234.216 at rucs.runet.edu> Dana Eckart writes:
>Does there exist a piece of software (or is it even possible) to compile
>a pipe?  In particular, suppose you had
>	ls -l | fgrep "Dec" | cut -f 4
>is there anyway to compile the above pipeline so that the pieces can
>communicate more quickly.  I am looking for a general solution, not
>one that works only for the above example.

I don't see how.  Any program that was created from the above line would
have to do everything the shell does when it sees that line and that
program has to be loaded and run as well.  If anything such a program
would slow it down.

Just a thought BTW - are you running out of memory?  If you are right
at the low limit you may be swapping when you get a large enough pipe.
My motherboard died recently and I have been running on a borrowed one
with less memory and I see a lot of slowdown with it. The swapping is
quite noticeable.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government