string search in "rn"

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Thu Jan 24 18:54:53 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of clc5q at shamash.cs.Virginia.EDU (Clark L. Coleman):
:I have seen some neat tricks with KILL files, but how do you find the
:documentation for this stuff? The man pages for "rn" are pretty much
:useless (on my system, anyway) for sophisticated kills. (Put another
:way: I am too stupid to figure it out from the man pages.)

Maybe now that the perl book is done, Larry will write us one on rn. :-)
[No, I'm not quite serious.]

The information you seek is actually there.  Perhaps it's a little
hard to pick out.  Look for the string "modifiers" in the man page.

:Specifically, I want to :
:
: 1) Kill all news articles that were cross-posted to talk.politics.mideast,
:     to use one example.

/Newsgroups:.*talk.politics.mideast/h:j

: 2) Kill all subjects containing a particular substring.

/substr/:j

: 3) Kill all postings from a particular poster.

/From:.*poster/h:j

Hope this helps.

--tom
--
"Hey, did you hear Stallman has replaced /vmunix with /vmunix.el?  Now
 he can finally have the whole O/S built-in to his editor like he