portability of non-shell scripts

Phil Howard KA9WGN phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 16 10:35:23 AEST 1991

When I write a program in some interpretive language like a shell script,
the full path name of the interpreter is used on the beginning "#!" line.
However I am finding that different systems put these interpreters in
different directories.

Is there no consitency to this?  Has anyone worked a general way to make
these script programs more portable so that they will run w/o having to
have the user do editing on them?

Examples of the interpreters include perl and various flavors of awk.
The sh/csh/ksh shell interpreters so far always seem to be in /bin.
--

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN-- | Individual CHOICE is fundamental to a free society
<phil at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> | no matter what the particular issue is all about.