using awk with records that have over 100 fields

Kim Christian Madsen kimcm at diku.dk
Fri Jan 4 03:31:35 AEST 1991

skwu at boulder.Colorado.EDU (WU SHI-KUEI) writes:

>No need for 'perl', a boon to the majority of UNIX users that do not use it.
>Simply replace the first, white space field separator with a some, otherwise
>unused glyph (i.e. @) using 'sed' and then set the awk FS to that glyph.

That (awk) solution will not work, at least not on most System V systems,
since the number of allowable fields in each record is hardcoded into the
source code. If you have the source code you can increase the number and
recompile. If not I suggest you find another tool, Tom Christensen has
provided a pointer to one of the more useful ones.

					Best Regards
					Kim Chr. Madsen