Not the usual modem question...

James S. Vera vera at fanaraaken.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jan 15 13:17:56 AEST 1991

robiner at oberon.usc.edu writes:

>Could some kind soul out there tell me how to have our Harris
>HCX-9 running 4.3BSD to call out on our modem line AND
>THEN RUN GETTY ON THAT PORT?

>The problem is, if I set up inittab to have a getty running on that
>port, then the dialout commands sent to the modem are echo'd
>back to login and not seen by the modem (its a hayes compatable).

>When the getty is off, I can get the modem to dial out fine, but
>then there's no way to 'switch on' or run a getty on that port
>without hanging up the modem.

Well, you could do what I did, which was quite a kludge.  I grabbed a
copy of the tip source from gatekeeper and made a minor hack to it so
that when it figures out it has connected to the other side it execs
getty.  Seems to work. [This is on a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix
3.0]

I use this to to give me a call out modem which presents a shell to
the other end.

James S. Vera      |         Internet	        |Standard Disclaimers
Stanford University|vera at fanaraaken.stanford.edu|Blah Blah Blah Blah
Bellcore           |vera2 at rigel.cc.bellcore.com |