swapping tapes between Suns and DECstations

Robert Claeson prc at erbe.se
Wed Jan 16 00:53:52 AEST 1991

In article <25456 at adm.brl.mil>, karl at forest.gsfc.nasa.gov (karl anderson) writes:

|> It seems that there is no standard format for 8mm tapes, so that
|> an 8mm tape written on, say, a DECstation 5000 cannot be read on
|> a Sun and vice versa.

No. There are two standard formats, but Sun's driver can only handle one
of them.

|> I think 1/4" formats are more standardized (QIC and all that). Am I right
|> - can a 1/4" tape written with tar, cpio, dd or dump on a DECStation be
|> read on a Sun?

Yes, but you'll have to find a DECstation with a standard QIC drive first.
All DECstation's I've seen comes with drives for DEC's very own TK50/TK70
cartridges.

Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson at erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se at sunet.se
Jakobsberg, Sweden              |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se at encore.com
Any opinions expressed herein definitely belongs to me and not to my employer.