default search path for root

Torsten Leibold torsten at xdave.rni.sub.org
Mon Jan 7 12:35:16 AEST 1991

woodward at uicbert.eecs.uic.edu (Jeff Woodward) writes:

>i am having a heck of a time trying to find out how to set the
>default search paths for standard users, and especially the
>root user, in both system V and sunOS environments. yeah,
>i know about "profile" for system V, and about .cshrc and
>.login, and .profile for root, but how do i change the
>"su" default path in system V?

>how do i do that for ALL users in sunOS?

>in particular, i'd really like to know where this info
>is stashed in the manuals, cuz i've looked, but i can
>t seem to find it.  i'd really like to know for future
>ref!

Sorry, I can't tell you for SunOS, but I know that information for
SysV, especially for SCO Xenix & Unix.
The PATH for su is defined in the text file /etc/default/su which
normally is absent.
The manual pages for su(C) describes the contents of that file as
follows:

   The file /etc/default/su can be used to control several
   aspects of how su is used. Several entries can be placed in
   /etc/default/su:

   SULOG    Name of log file to record all attempts to use su.
            Usually /usr/adm/sulog. If not set, no logfile is
            kept. (See example below.)

   PATH     The PATH environment variable to set for non-root
            users. If not set, it defaults to
            ``:/bin:/usr/bin.'' The current PATH environment
            variable is ignored.

   SUPATH   When invoked by root, the path is set by default
            to ``/bin:/usr/bin:/etc'', unless this variable is
            defined., The current PATH is ignored.

   CONSOLE  Attempts to use su are logged to the named device,
            independently of SULOG.

Maybe SunOS hides this information in a similar location... ??