selecting pages from PostScript

Mark Zellers mzellers at starnet.uucp
Sun Jan 13 06:46:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan10.171621 at madmax.Viewlogic.COM> kenc at madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) writes:

>Is it possible for a filter to select only certain pages
>from a PostScript document?  I have a huge document
>(thanks, OSF/Motif) which I need to print in small chunks
>so as not to offend the community at large by hogging
>the printer.

It depends entirely on whether the file you are working with is an
Encapsulated PostScript file with the appropriate %%Page comments.  If
so, it is a fairly simple matter to filter out the pages you don't want
by looking at the comments.  On the other hand, there are PostScript
programs that are unencapsulatable (?).  Consider the following
fragment:
      /tmpstr 10 string def
      /Times-Roman findfont 300 scalefont setfont
      0 1 9 {tmpstr cvs 100 100 moveto show showpage} for

The last line produces 9 pages of output, so to only output pages 4-6
you would actually have to modify the program.

Mark H. Zellers
decwrl.dec.com!voltaire!bwayne!mark