help with uucp needed

Gunsul prg at mgweed.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 10:41:47 AEST 1991

In article <190 at raysnec.UUCP>, shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
> shawn at marilyn.UUCP (Shawn P. Stanley) writes:
>
> >Perhaps one uux along the route is "broken".  It has to be able to send
> >a file more than one hop.  Another consideration is that many flavors of
> >uucp won't send a file greater than a certain size; you might try splitting
> >it up into pieces and combining them on the receiving end.
>
> 	No, nothing is broken! Uucp file transfers involving more than two
> hosts is theoretically possible, but such transfers are supported on
> few platforms, provided permission is granted. The means of granting such
> permission varies between platforms and implementations. Given the number
> of hops between the original poster's source and destination systems, the
> likelihood that all would accommodate is virtually nil. Lucky for us all,
> given the security implications alone.

Having had several 'conversation' via mail with Paul (original poster),
straightened me out on what the problem was exactly.  He was saying
the he could not do multiple hops for the SOURCE file, not the DESTINATION
file...

Sure enough Paul, I get the same syntax error that you do when I enter:

	uucp system1!system2!~/file ~/file
	illegal  syntax uucp system1!system2!~/file

Whereas:
	uucp ~/file system1!system2!~/file

works quite nicely, if the downstream systems allow multiple hops..

Our locations manual page indicates that the first form shown above
will not work, Pauls manual page did not.

--
AT&T 		|	 This space		| (708)-859-4485
Phil Gunsul	|	intentionally		| att!mgweed!prg