tar

Tanumihardjo Idarto itan at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Jun 11 00:29:45 AEST 1991

In article <11711 at mirsa.inria.fr>, gilette at trinidad.inria.fr (Serge Gilette)
writes:

>   I ftp archives from a site and i need to uncompress them,
> for they are tar file. I tryed to do tar -xf file.tar.Z
> but it gives me tar: directory checksum error (0 != -57),
> and if i use the -i option which is suppose to suppress
> such errors, it gives me a fulle page of errors !
> What shall i do ?

   I think you have to use program named "uncompress" first before you
can use the "tar" command.

   file.tar.Z  --> original ftp files downloaded
   uncompress file.tar.Z --> produce file named file.tar
   tar -xf file.tar --> will extract these files to your current dir.

Idarto Tan                                  internet: itan at iastate.edu
Engineering Computing Support Services
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50010