Create an inetd sub-server

Christophe Wolfhugel wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
Tue Jun 25 17:18:55 AEST 1991

I wish to create a new service working under inetd that, as with
telnet,ftp does stdio with the peer.

So I created a small program that does nothing except printf a text +
fflush(stdout).

I replaced in inetd.conf the ftp server with this new program.
telnet host ftp and I get the message + connection closed, as excpected.

After that, I wanted to move it on another service name.
I added a service in /etc/services similar to telnet, with a new name
and a new port number (I tried unused priviledges and non priviledged
port nulmbers).

I added a line in /etc/inetd.conf pointing to my program for the new defined
service and refreshed inetd.

telnet host new_service hangs, as if inetd could not start the application
(the connection is established). All other parameters are
identical to telnet.

Any suggestions on what makes this hanging? Did I miss an important step?

Christophe Wolfhugel    | Email: wolf at grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA - Dpt Informatique | "Le progres ne vaut que s'il est partage par tous,"
Lyon, France            | "les greves aussi. Hassan Cehef: c'est penible!"